Street furniture in Christchurch
Information regarding street furniture within Christchurch, including what is and is not the responsibility of Christchurch Borough Council.
Christchurch Borough Council is responsible for the placement and maintenance of much of the street furniture throughout the borough which includes:
- Some bus shelters
- Bollards (these are mainly highway furniture and are maintained by us under our agency agreement with Dorset County Council (DCC). These include both illuminated and non-illuminated bollards
- Safety railings on the street (these are mainly highway furniture and are maintained by us under our agency agreement with DCC)
- Street lighting and illuminated bollards (these are a responsibility of DCC. However, we act as agents to DCC, so please contact us with any complaints)
The council is not responsible for the many utility cabinets around the borough which are the responsibility of the utility companies and the various telecom and cable companies.
Consulting with the community
We welcome suggestions and comments on the placement and condition of the street furniture we are responsible for from members of the community.
Location of seats and benches
If you have any questions about the following matters please contact us using the relevant details at the foot of this article.
- Seats and benches on the street
- Seats and benches in parks and playgrounds
- Removing or relocating seats and benches
Regrettably seats and benches on the street or in the parks can become the focus of anti social behaviour.
Before moving a seat or bench we will consult with the community. Removal of benches will only be considered in extreme circumstances as we would rather tackle the root causes of the problem than penalise the wider community.
You can contact us to report worn or broken street furniture. Please report it to our street care and cleaning section if the equipment is on the street; or to our playgrounds and parks section if the equipment is in one of our parks or play grounds.
If you wish to report an incident of vandalism please contact us.
Commemorative Seating on Open Spaces in Christchurch
Information on memorial seats and how to obtain a dedicated seat in the borough of Christchurch.