Sixth forms and colleges in Dorset
Information about colleges and schools with sixth forms in Dorset.
The education system in Dorset is comprehensive with secondary schools for pupils aged 11-18 and upper schools for pupils aged 13-18.
In Weymouth and Portland, there are three secondary schools for students aged 11 to 16. These secondary schools are:
- All Saints School
- Budmouth Technology College
- Royal Manor Arts College
- Wey Valley School
In the following areas, there is a formal linked sixth form provision between the schools concerned:
- West Dorset - there is a linked sixth form across Beaminster Technology College and Sir John Colfox School (Language College)
- North Dorset - there is a linked sixth form across Sturminster Newton High School and Shaftesbury School (Sports College)
The Search for a school provides details of all schools in the Dorset local authority area.
The seven local and nearby colleges offer an extensive range of further education courses and through partnerships with local universities, they also offer higher education courses including higher national diplomas (HNDs), foundation degrees and degrees.
Five of the colleges are 'generalist' colleges offering a whole range of different academic and vocational courses:
- Bournemouth and Poole College (opens in a new window)
- Brockenhurst College (opens in a new window)
- Weymouth College (opens in a new window)
- Wiltshire College (opens in a new window)
- Yeovil College (opens in a new window)
Two of the colleges are 'specialist' colleges:
- The Arts University College at Bournemouth (opens in a new window) - offers courses centred around art and design
- Kingston Maurward College (opens in a new window) - offers courses in agriculture and horticulture and countryside associated courses