Grants and loans
Homes in serious disrepair or in need of major adaptations can have an impact on home owners' or tenants' health and welfare. You may be eligible for a grant or a loan to help pay for repairs and adaptations.
However, often the disrepair or adaptation can be of a minor nature but still be essential.
Some councils in Dorset may have limited amounts of money to help home owners, tenants or landlords carry out some works. Every year we each publish our own grants and loans policies (see below) which detail the types of grants and loans that we can give and who is eligible to apply for them. Whilst some of the grants and loans that are offered across Dorset are similar you will need to look at your own council's grants and loans policies. Details of how to access these are included at the bottom of this page.
All councils also offer help and financial assistance to support disabled residents to safely access facilities within the home.
The range of assistance varies and may include some of the following:
A loan for larger scale works which could be up to about £15,000
A small grant for essential works up to about £1000
An energy efficiency grant to help with the cost of providing loft or cavity wall insulation. Further advice on these grants can be found on our energy efficiency pages
Landlords' grants to help with the cost of providing loft and cavity wall insulation and electrical safety reports and improvements when applying to become an accredited landlord
Empty property grants to help with the cost of works necessary to bring empty properties back into use. The maximum grant varies between each local authority but up to £15,000 per unit may be available to bring them back into use. Conditions apply that may require full tenant nomination rights for up to than 5 years.
Grants and loan policies for councils in Dorset:
- East Dorset District Council private sector housing grants policy (pdf, 224kb) (opens in a new window)
- North Dorset District Council Housing Renewal Assistance (pdf, 125kb) (opens in a new window)
- Purbeck District Council - Private Sector Housing Strategy 2009 - 2014 (pdf, 531kb) (opens in a new window)
- West Dorset District Council Private Sector Housing Policy (pdf, 384kb) (opens in a new window)
- Weymouth and Portland Borough Council Private Sector Housing Assistance Policy (pdf, 384kb) (opens in a new window)
- Christchurch Borough Council's Private Sector Housing Grants Policy (pdf, 321kb) (opens in a new window)
For further information please contact your Private Sector Housing Team at your local council.