Birth, marriage and death certificates
Applying for copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates.
We hold all records for Christchurch from 1 April 1997 onwards, also some marriage records prior to this date. Please contact us for more information before applying. You will need to contact Bournemouth Register Office for Christchurch birth and death records before 1 April 1997.
Information can only be released in the form of a certificate.
You will need to let us know:
- Birth certificates: Date and place of birth, full name and parent's names.
- Death certificates: Date and place of death and full name of deceased.
- Marriage certificates: Date and place of marriage, full names of couple.
- Civil partnerships: Date and place of civil partnership, full names and address of couple at time of registration.
How to apply
- By phone
Call Dorset Registration Service on 01305 225 153. Lines open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 5.45pm, Saturday 9am to 4.45pm.
- By post
Either download an application form (see right) or send details by letter enclosing cheque or postal order payable to Dorset County Council to:
Dorset Registration Service
Dorset History Centre
- In person
At the Dorset History Centre reception
By appointment at one of our register offices
- The fee for a certificate is £10.
- If the event was registered recently it may be in a register still in use, in which case the fee is £7.00 (if in doubt please telephone us to check).
We aim to dispatch certificates the next working day by first class post or you can arrange to collect from the Dorset History Centre.
Records before 1837
For records prior to 1 July 1837 you may wish to contact the Dorset History Centre on 01305 250550 for further information.