Skip Navigation

Planning applications

General guidance about the kinds of work for which you need to apply for planning permission and those that you do not.

You apply to your council for planning permission. Planning applications are decided in line with the development plan unless there are very good reasons not to do so. Points that will be looked at include the following:

  • Number, size, layout, siting and external appearance of buildings
  • Proposed means of access, landscaping and impact on the neighbourhood
  • Availability of infrastructure, such as roads and water supply
  • Proposed use of the development

Who can apply for planning permission?

It is not necessary to make the application yourself. You can appoint an agent (for instance, an architect, a solicitor, or a builder) to make it for you.

Anyone can make an application, no matter who owns the land or buildings concerned. If you are not the owner, or if you have only part-ownership, you have to tell the owner or those who share ownership, including any leaseholder whose lease still has seven or more years to run, and any agricultural tenant.

It is your responsibility for seeking planning permission. If required, planning permission should be granted before any work begins.

Who should I send my planning application to? 

Dorset County Council Planning is the department you will need to contact for applications or developments involving:

  1. Mining, quarrying and the working of minerals and associated facilities
  2. Waste disposal or the treating, storing, processing or disposing of refuse or waste materials
  3. Developments by the county council (for example roads or schools)

For all other applications contact your local district council. 

Powered by GOSS iCM
Feedback Form