Christchurch recycling and rubbish collection dates
Find your next bin collection dates and information about recycling and rubbish bin collections in Christchurch.
See your next bin collection dates and download calendars
The 'recycle for Dorset' service
What to do on collection days
- Put your containers out by 7am, or after 6pm the evening before
- Leave your containers at the edge of your property or the agreed collection point
- Place wheelie bins with handles facing the road and food bins with handles up
- Make sure the lid of your bin is shut
- Take your emptied containers back in by the evening of your collection day at the latest
Rubbish is collected fortnightly using a 140-litre grey wheelie bin or authorised blue sacks for households that have been assessed as unable to use wheelie bins.
All rubbish must be placed inside your bin with the lid shut or in authorised blue sacks. We will not collect any additional rubbish left outside your bin or in unauthorised sacks. The only exception is the first collection after Christmas, when we will collect up to two unauthorised sacks of rubbish.
Recycling is collected fortnightly using:
- a 240-litre wheelie bin with a green lid for paper and cardboard, tins and cans, plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays and aerosols
- a green box for glass bottles and jars
- a small, red reusable bag for batteries
Households that have been assessed as unable to use wheelie bins receive two boxes with lids for all recycling except glass, which should be put in a separate box (without a lid).
On your recycling collection day, please remember the following:
- Put glass bottles and jars only in your green box - do not put glass in your bin
- Put your brown food waste bin out for collection alongside your recycling containers
- We will collect extra recycling you have if you put it in your own boxes, keeping glass separate. Put paper and cardboard in your bin or a box with a lid to keep it dry
Food waste collection
Food waste is collected every week using a 23-litre lockable brown food bin. Households also receive a 7-litre kitchen caddy to use in the home and empty into the 23-litre bin.
Please remember to put your food waste bin next to your recycling or rubbish containers on collection day, with the handle 'locked' and pointing up.
Garden waste collection
Households in areas where the 'recycle for Dorset' service is used can also pay for an optional, fortnightly garden waste collection using a 240-litre wheelie bin with a brown lid.
Christmas and New Year collections
All collection days move back a day or more for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period. Check your collection calendar (opens in a new window) to find out your collection dates over the festive period. Collections on other Public Holidays are carried out as normal.