Skip Navigation

National bus pass (concessionary travel)

Details about national and local bus pass schemes, and information for bus operators.

Dorset County Council is responsible for the Dorset Concessionary Travel Scheme in Dorset and has contracted a Hampshire-based company Euclid Ltd, to manage the process of Concessionary Bus Pass applications and enquiries.

Are you eligible for a bus pass?

Older people:

The government have introduced changes to the criteria by which people qualify for a bus pass on the grounds of age.
Essentially, the age of eligibility for women will be pension age and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day.

You can check when you'll become eligible by entering your sex and date of birth into the State Pension age calculator (opens in a new window) .

Disabled people:

You're eligible for a disabled person's pass if you live in England and are 'eligible disabled'. This means you:

  • are blind or partially sighted

  • are profoundly or severely deaf

  • are without speech

  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk

  • don't have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms

  • have a learning disability

  • are a member or Veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service

You're also eligible disabled if your application for a driving licence would be refused under section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (physical fitness). However, you won't be eligible if you were refused because of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

What does the bus pass entitle you to?

Free local bus travel in Dorset from 9.30am to 11pm on Monday to Friday and at any time during weekends and public holidays.
You are also entitled to free local bus travel in all other areas of England during these off-peak times.

Free travel throughout the week is available for blind and partially sighted people.
For companion pass holders it is free from 9.30am to 11pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and public holidays.

Some rural areas of Dorset have less frequent public transport services. With this in mind we are offering Dorset residents pre 9.30am travel as an exception to the scheme where there is no other service or the next available service is 10.30am or later.
See a  Full list of public transport services that can be used before 9.30am 2013 revised 16 April 2013 (pdf, 52kb) (opens in a new window) - (last revised on 16 April 2013)

How to apply for a bus pass

Dorset County Council is responsible for concessionary bus pass applications and residents in the county council area should send application forms for their concessionary fares bus pass to Dorset ENCTS Bus Pass, PO Box 212, Waterlooville, PO7 6ZN.

Residents applying for an older persons or disabled persons bus pass for the first time can apply by downloading an application form:

You can also collect an application form from your district or borough council, or from your local library.

If you are applying for disabled persons bus pass under the blind or partially sighted category then you can apply by telephone on 0300 330 1201.  A dedicated member of staff will either complete an application over the phone for you or arrange for a large print version of the application to be sent out by post.

Enquiries should be directed to Euclid Ltd and can be made by telephone on 0300 330 1201, by email to or sent by post to Dorset ENCTS Bus Pass, PO Box 212, Waterlooville, PO7 6ZN.

Replacing a lost or stolen bus pass

Please contact the Bus Pass Information Line on 0300 330 1201 to re-order.

You will normally need to pay £7 to replace a lost or spoilt pass unless the loss was as the result of theft and a Police Crime Number is supplied.

Preventing fraud

By law, councils have to protect public money. We may share information you provide with those responsible for auditing or administering public money in order to prevent or detect fraud. The council must send data held on concessionary travel passes.

Powered by GOSS iCM
Feedback Form